Boys Hope Girls Hope International
Vice President of Development
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Boys Hope Girls Hope (BHGH) was founded in 1977 in St. Louis to help driven students from disadvantaged backgrounds succeed in school and life. Our mission is to help academically capable and motivated children in need to meet their full potential and become men and women for others by providing value-centered, family-like homes, opportunities and education through college. The young people we serve come from families affected by poverty, substance abuse, mental health issues, community violence and a lack of sufficient academic opportunity in their neighborhood schools. BHGH currently serves 1,200 young people.
BHGH is headquartered in St. Louis. The International Office connects affiliates in fifteen U.S. and three Latin American cities. Each affiliate is independently incorporated, governed by its own board of directors, and responsible for its own fundraising. Affiliation and services agreements link the network through the international office and ensure mission fidelity, consistency in quality operations, and maximum functional capacity.
BHGH utilizes structured programming adapted to the needs of each community, unique curriculum, and partnerships with local schools and universities. Service pathways include residential environments and community-based, out-of school time programming and build on consistent core elements:
- Academic excellence
- Service and community engagement
- Family-like settings to cultivate youth empowerment
- Long-term and comprehensive programming
- Faith-based values
- Voluntary participant commitment
BHGH firmly believes that children have the power to overcome adversity, realize their potential, and help transform our world. Young people create these successes when we remove obstacles, support and believe in them, and provide environments and opportunities that build on their strengths.
This year, BHGH celebrates 40 years of empowering vulnerable youth to reach their full potential! During this important year, we are engaged in dialogue across the BHGH network to plan strategically for the future and think about how we can most effectively serve more motivated young people in need going forward. The VP of Development will be an important contributor to this dialogue and movement. Increased fund development will be a critical element for BHGH’s growth! For more information, please visit www.bhghinternational.org.
BHGH is seeking an experienced development professional to lead and oversee all aspects of the development work including donor prospecting, donor engagement, major gifts, foundation engagement, as well as marketing and communications. The Vice President of Development will strengthen the organization’s overall fundraising and communications capacity, expand and diversify BHGH’s base of support, and increase awareness of our work. This person will be primarily responsible for fundraising for the BHGH International Office, which provides central leadership for the entire network in youth development programming, college preparation and support, administrative operations, marketing, technology, communications and performance management. The VP of Development will also provide strategic direction for the 18 BHGH affiliates, who are responsible for their own local budgets, and search for funding opportunities that could benefit multiple affiliates.
The Vice President of Development will report to and collaborate with the President/CEO. The role will also work closely with colleagues at the International Office and across the BHGH network. This role will be based at the BHGH International Office in St. Louis, but BHGH is open to hiring a professional who will work remotely. The position will require some travel.
- In collaboration with the President and CEO, create and execute a strategic funding plan, designed to sustainably grow fundraising at the International Office by 20% per year to sustain and grow our mission. BHGH raised 1.8M in 2016 with total income of 3.5M and plans to increase income to 4.5M by 2022.
- Provide strategic direction and examples for BHGH affiliate network so that they can incorporate best practices into their fundraising efforts.
- Serve on the BHGH senior leadership team. Be comfortable contributing to and helping shape strategic priorities in collaboration with other BHGH senior team members.
- In collaboration with the President and CEO, increase external alliances and partnerships to support BHGH strategic goals.
- Increase donor identification, cultivation, solicitation, engagement, and retention.
- Personally oversee and be responsible for a portfolio of major donors, including prospecting, cultivation, conversation, ongoing engagement and retention.
- Oversee and when necessary participate in technical grant writing and partnership development with BHGH foundation partners.
- Design and manage development campaigns, including development marketing and communications, hitting or exceeding select goals for donor growth, retention and engagement.
- Oversee BHGH’s development communications, tracking and management tools (e.g., Salesforce, etc.).
- Represent the development department to Board members and contribute to Board meetings as requested by President/CEO.
- Lead a development team that includes the Director of Marketing, two part-time grant writers and part-time data entry support.
Ideal candidates will:
- Be passionate about the BHGH mission!
- Be great collaborators who help to build a team-based environment to motivate and inspire staff to work cohesively and collaboratively, by clearly communicating BHGH’s vision, providing leadership development, professional development, and mentoring.
- Have experience building and leading a successful development program and team, including:
- At least 7-10+ years of relevant development experience within a highly performance-driven organization.
- Experience managing and producing results within each portion of a development pyramid (e.g., prospecting, cultivation, conversion, ongoing engagement and retention etc.).
- Experience with or exposure to a diverse set of development channels and approaches including: major gifts, foundations, peer-to-peer, alumni giving, online, etc.
- Experience with or exposure to marketing, branding and communications functions.
- Be an experienced team leader, including several years of experience:
- Recruiting and hiring team members.
- Managing and coaching team members to achieve aggressive development performance goals.
- Have a demonstrated track record of cultivating trust-based relationships that allows them to influence and mobilize colleagues and partners.
- Be highly entrepreneurial and self-directed, with the potential to experiment, pilot and scale significant new areas of development strategy and donor engagement for BHGH.
- Demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Have a bachelor’s degree. A graduate degree is a plus.
BHGH will offer a competitive compensation package and an exciting, fast-paced professional work environment for the passionate development executive who brings a commitment to the mission of BHGH and the internal drive to be successful.
Interested persons should submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com or click here to select the Vice President of Development from current openings at Boys Hope Girls Hope International and you will be prompted to upload your documents.