Pulitzer Arts Foundation
Visitor Services Manager
Pulitzer Arts Foundation is currently seeking to fill the position of Visitor Services Manager. The Visitor Services Manager is responsible for overseeing the daily operations of the galleries, management and training of part time visitor services staff, and the organization and oversight of specific institutional programs and events. The ideal candidate will possess 1-2 years of management experience, demonstrated leadership and problem solving skills, excellent written and verbal communication skills, a high level of poise and discretion, excellent organizational skills and attention to detail, and a strong interest in the arts. The position is full-time with excellent benefits.
Position: Visitor Services Manager
Reports to: Director of Operations
Status: Full-time / Non-Exempt
POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Manage the daily operations of the galleries
- Oversee opening and closing procedures to the ensure the readiness of the galleries for scheduled open hours and events
- Monitor and ensure the safety of the artwork, reporting any incidents to the Security Manager on duty
- Ensure that all galleries are staffed at the appropriate levels.
- Communicate with Registrar, Manager of Security, Associate Curator, and Director of Public Projects and Engagement on exhibition staffing requirements, supplies and equipment needs during scheduled open hours and events.
- Create the schedule of requested tours, lead or oversee tours through the galleries
- Oversee the distribution and/or sales of exhibition catalogues and maintain a sufficient supply in the galleries of catalogues and other printed materials
- Create the daily rotation and duties of visitor services staff
- Oversee the collection of daily visitor statistics and mailing list sign up
Manage Visitor Services staff
- Provide daily supervision of the Visitor Services staff
- Organize and conduct daily shift meetings
- Adhere to and administer Pulitzer policies, procedures and protocols to the Visitor Services staff
- Train Visitor Services staff on gallery procedures, protocols, and promote a welcoming environment for visitors through strong customer service skills
- Organize and schedule exhibition specific training sessions for the Visitor Services staff with Curatorial, Registrar and Public Projects and Engagement departments.
- Distribute exhibition and program specific information to Visitor Services staff
- Foster a cooperative and team-team oriented environment
- General Management and administrative duties:
- Maintain knowledge of Pulitzer exhibition and programs history
- Review timelines and budgets for visitor services staffing line items
- Maintain an understanding of the visitor services departmental budget, and work with interdepartmental staff to create and manage the annual staffing budget
- Create and maintain bi-weekly schedules for visitor services staff using scheduling software
- Approve timesheets for payroll and communicate with the Assistant Business Manager any issues with time clock approvals or changes that need to be corrected.
- Participate in weekly department meetings and interdepartmental meetings with Pulitzer teams
- Work closely with the Assistant Business Manager in the recruitment and selection of visitor services staff
- Manage and implement institutional programs and receptions.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE AND BACKGROUND SKILLS
- 1-2 years of management experience required
- Bachelor’s degree preferred with strong interest in art
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstration of excellent leadership and problem solving skills
- Good organizational skills with a knowledge of process implementation and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and interdepartmentally
- Ability to work with diverse audiences
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Google forms
- Familiar with basic budgeting and financial planning processes
- Strict adherence to professional ethics and evident practice of a high level of confidentiality
The Pulitzer Arts Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume via email to:
Assistant Business Manager and Human Resources Manager