Thomas Jefferson School
Thomas Jefferson School (TJ) seeks a full-time Director of Finance and Operations to start in July of 2021. This key administrator has responsibilities that include planning, budgeting, financial management, legal and risk management, accounting systems, payroll, external vendor relations, and human resources—all aligned with the mission of the school. This position is ideal for the candidate who wants opportunities for true impact. The Director reports to the Head of School, serves as a member of the senior leadership team, and works closely with the school’s Board of Trustees.
About Thomas Jefferson School
TJ is a small, coed boarding and day school for students in grades 7-12. We are an intellectual greenhouse for high-ability students who crave a challenging liberal-arts program and the support of a close-knit, international community. TJ is consistently ranked among the top boarding schools in the nation and last year was rated by Niche as the most diverse private school in Missouri. Please learn more about our school by visiting www.TJS.org and referring to our Statement of Philosophy.
Skills and Qualities Desired
- Background & expertise. Needs to provide reports and projections that help inform strategic decisions of the school. Must have experience coordinating and overseeing budgets, producing reports, and managing employee benefits, compensation, and safety. Background in Blackbaud products a plus.
- Communication & empathy. Must be able to speak to parents, staff, and students about delicate issues with compassion, care, and professionalism.
- Collaboration & problem solving. Seeks out information to find solutions that would be best for all parties. Participates in leadership-level discussions about the long-term success of the school.
- Comfort with ambiguity. Willing to make decisions with limited information. Provides thought partnership on areas that may not be of direct experience.
- Respect for diversity. Sees the value of cultural, ethnic, gender, and other individual differences in people. Creates an environment of learning about, valuing, encouraging, and supporting differences. Seeks different points of view and leverages diverse perspectives in group processes and decision-making.
- Desire to be a dynamic member of the community. Eager to be part of a community of learners who want to improve, grow, and—as our mission states—lift up the world with beauty and intellect.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Coordinate all aspects of the school’s risk management
- Oversees the crisis-management program of the school
- Supervises and monitors personnel policies and governmental compliance requirements
- Provides staff support, in conjunction with the Head of School, to the Finance Committee of the Board of Trustees; serves as an ex officio member of the Finance Committee, the Strategic Planning Committee, and the Buildings and Grounds Committee
- In concert with the Director of Development, ensure proper receipt, accounting, and spending of designated gifts
- Manages the financial-aid process and serves as a member of the financial-aid committee
- Oversees and directs implementation and administration of employee benefit programs such as health insurance, dental insurance, disability insurance, life insurance, workers compensation, employee assistance, retirement, and other related plans
- Supervises the work of the school bookkeeper and office manager in compliance with all applicable accounting procedures and standards per Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and the rules of the Financial Accounting Services Board (FASB)
- Works in collaboration with the Head of School in preparation of the annual budget
Prepares a monthly operating statement for the Head of School and the Board of Trustees
- Works with contract accountants on tax-return preparation, the annual review, and periodic audits
- Manages the financial operations of the school and uses standard accounting and bookkeeping procedures to keep an accurate continuous record of the cash and financial position of the school
- Collaborates with the Head of School detailed financial information and forecasts and collaborate to implement the school’s strategic plan, school goals and initiatives
- Maintain a strategic financial plan and overall financial model that will demonstrate the trends and requirements of the school’s advancement plan and will forecast future year’s cash budgets and positions
- Provides the financial information and planning that builds trust among faculty, administration, staff, the Board of Trustees, and the parent community
- Communicate with and support parents regarding sensitive and complex financial situations
- Oversees four major outside vendor relationships: school transportation, food service, information technology, and overnight security
- Manages human resources, including employee relations, benefits and compensation, and employee safety
- Maintains an inventory of the school’s assets and monitors maintenance and depreciation of school property
- Maintains appropriate levels of insurance to protect the property and to cover the liability of the school
- Works with Director of Facilities, the Head of School, and the Associate Head of School to improve and maintain the school’s physical and technological infrastructure
- Collaborates with the Director of Facilities to schedule and contract with outside vendor services (e.g., landscaping)
- Partners with the Head of School and other staff or trustees to evaluate, pursue, and manage additional (non-tuition) revenue-generating opportunities using the School’s resources
- Represents the School to the wider community
- Shares chaperoning duties for school-sponsored student trips in the fall
- Attends, leads, or participates in some school-organized activities—e.g., social, cultural, or athletic events, clubs
- Contribute to a staff-wide culture of continual professional learning
- Seek ways to forward the school’s commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
- Promote high standards and expectations for academic performance, student leadership, personal integrity, and community responsibility
- Perform other duties as assigned by and in support of the Head of School
Please send a résumé and letter of interest to email@example.com. Put “Director of Finance and Operations” in the subject line. Address your cover letter to Dr. Matthew Troutman, Head of School.
The School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital, veteran, or disability status in the selection of its governing Board and the employment of personnel.