Incarnate Word Academy
Incarnate Word Academy is a college preparatory high school that strives to challenge young women of faith to achieve their God-given potential academically, physically, spiritually and emotionally, thereby empowering themselves and others to make a positive impact on our world. The school is a sponsored ministry of the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word. Incarnate Word Academy is seeking applicants for the following position:
Director of Special Events
The Director of Special Events is responsible for planning, organizing, coordinating, and executing events that build mutually beneficial connections between IWA and its constituents. She/he develops events to increase constituent engagement, focusing on initiatives that create tangible benefits, both professionally and personally, for the entire IWA community. Reporting directly to the Director of Development, this position plans, manages, and implements events in collaboration with the advancement staff and IWA leadership.
· Works with the President and Director of Development to develop an overall strategy for IWA events from initial event concepts to event completion and follow up, which is further defined by helping to plan, manage, and execute strategic advancement events, including student-retention events, campaign events, alumnae events, stewardship events, and other events as assigned.
· For assigned events, provides assistance and oversight for all details related to special events, including but not limited to: contract negotiations, reserving event space and rentals, creating invitations, coordinating and overseeing event communications (digital, social, and print,) collateral materials, creating timelines and run-of-shows, establishing logistical plans, securing volunteers and speakers, creating seating plans, registration management, room set up, coordination of catering, linens, florals, and other décor, audio visual, program agenda and scripts, gifts and mementos, and expenses.
· Oversees the planning, coordination, and execution of assigned events, including: Homecoming, Hall of Fame, Mother-Daughter, Father-Daughter, and the annual Dinner Auction.
· Helps the Alumnae Relations Coordinator with logistics for alumnae related events, including: Golden Girls Celebration, Platinum Circle, Turkey Trot, and Spring Boutique.
· Ensures smooth event management by maintaining effective relationships and communications with internal and external constituents.
· Manages internal and external event volunteers before and on the day of events.
· Empowers event committee members and volunteers to take on leadership volunteer roles, solicit sponsorships, recruit attendees, sell tables/registrations, and garner support for IWA.
· Maintains current donor relationships and cultivates new donor, volunteer, and business relationships for IWA events as directed.
· Builds new relationships and continues to strengthen existing relationships with outside vendors. Vendor management includes but is not limited to: catering, venue, promotional items, printing and graphic design, public and media relations, audio visual, tent, and furniture rental.
· Closely tracks event revenue and expenses to ensure event financial and participant goals are met.
· Oversees post-event coordination including but not limited to: debrief meetings, donor recognition and other stewardship activities, financial reporting, and data transfer.
· Coordinates with the Director of Development the special events budget and monitors financial standing and performances of individual events.
· In coordination with the Finance Office, is responsible for individual event deposit requests, invoicing, and final bill reconciliation.
· Provides expertise to staff in the planning and execution of non-assigned events.
· Carries a moderate-sized portfolio of mid-range prospects to cultivate, solicit, and steward and to identify and cultivate event volunteer leadership.
· Embraces ongoing professional development growth & collaborates with other private school Directors of Special Events.
· Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of Development or President.
Job Requirements and Qualifications:
· Bachelor’s degree in a liberal arts or business field preferred with 3-5 years of professional work experience in nonprofit management, development, events management or similar professional work experience.
· Demonstrated enthusiasm for event management and a passion for IWA’s mission.
· Proven ability to multitask with a very high level of attention to detail and output in a fast-paced environment.
· Proven ability to work effectively and professionally with all levels of internal and external clients.
· Ability to establish effective working relationships with co-workers and volunteers to accomplish objectives successfully.
· Ability to work in an environment that embraces a diverse community of students, employees, parents, and alumnae.
· Strong proficiency in a variety of computer software applications, including: Google suite of programs, Microsoft Office, donor databases (preferably Raiser’s Edge,) presentation software, email, social media platforms, and event management software.
· Proven ability to establish priorities and meet deadlines.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Self-starter with the ability to create and follow through with an annual plan.
· High level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations.
· A criminal history and background check are required and must be completed successfully.
· Generally works in standard office conditions and climate.
· Flexibility to work outside of normal business hours. Peak event periods require additional hours including evenings and weekends.
· May work at a desk and computer for extended periods of time.
· May work in varied extreme outside weather conditions during special activities and fundraising events.
· Light physical activity. Work may involve occasional assistance of others in the manipulation of heavy objects and some standing or walking for extended periods of time.
Qualified candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Josh McIntire, Director of Development, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Digital submissions only.