Urban Harvest STL
Opportunity: Executive Director
About Urban Harvest STL:
Urban Harvest STL is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit based in St Louis, MO that builds community through inclusive and resilient local food systems. Urban Harvest STL believes that all members of our community should have equitable access to fresh, healthy food regardless of socioeconomic status, race, or location. We grow healthy produce across a network of urban rooftop and on-ground farms in the heart of St. Louis and donate the majority of the harvest to nonprofit partners serving communities with limited or non-existent access to healthy, nutritious food. Urban Harvest STL also educates and engages the community in these efforts.
Urban Harvest STL is on a growth trajectory and is seeking a dynamic and visionary Executive Director to lead a growth strategy and ensure future success.
The Executive Director believes in the mission and can motivate diverse audiences to support and partner in the work of Urban Harvest STL. The Executive Director is accountable for the implementation of the strategic plan; efficient and effective operations; and programs delivering measurable outcomes. The Executive Director is responsible for the retention, motivation and professional development of staff. The position requires fundraising expertise that supports sustainability through corporate and community partnerships and effective donor cultivation. The position is accountable to the Board of Directors.
Leadership & Management
– Articulates the organization’s vision in a variety of public settings and provides thought leadership for urban agriculture and food equity as chief advocate of Urban Harvest STL.
– Has experience with and is responsible for nurturing a professional staff of ten; delegates responsibilities as needed and establishes accountability; serves as a mentor to further develop staff’s career goals.- Excellent interpersonal skills with proven ability to influence and engage directly with a diverse group of constituents including staff, Board of Directors, funders, community partners, government organizations, community members, and volunteers.
– Experience working with a Board of Directors on Board Member recruitment, strategic planning, and other Board matters.
Fundraising & Communications
– Has proven experience developing and leading a comprehensive, results-driven fundraising program including designing and coordinating campaign plans and related activity; identifying, cultivating and stewarding donors and potential prospects; and grantsmanship.
– Initiate and establish philanthropic partnerships with businesses, community members, organizations, and prospective donors.
– Oversee the creation of marketing materials, an annual report and social media campaigns that will generate awareness of the organization, attract donors, and increase awareness of giving and engagement opportunities.
Operations & Programs
– Lead staff in the design and implementation of programs that reflect the mission; assess progress in alignment with mission and goals; monitor, evaluate, and revise development and advancement programs to ensure optimal program effectiveness.
– Develop strategic alliances to expand program reach and impact; build relationships with community partners to support this effort.
– Prepare, monitor, and administer annual operations and program budgets and provide fiscal management of the organization’s assets.
– Ensure compliance with laws, regulations, and best practices for annual filings, financial accounts, internal controls, and organizational insurance.
– Regularly coordinate with the accountant and oversee the preparation and filing of IRS 990 and meeting of all IRS nonprofit reporting requirements as well as annual audit activities.
Education & Experience:
– M.A. / M.S. degree preferred; B.A. / B.S. degree required.
– Previous work as an Executive Director or high interest in the work of an Executive Director.
– An action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning and development.
– Strong public speaking skills with capability to successfully present to small and large scale, local and international audiences on expert subject matter.
– Experience overseeing and managing nonprofit budgets, quarterly financials, annual audits, and compliance issues is preferred.
– Superior communication skills (listening, interpersonal, oral, and written) with the ability to work well in a team environment. Excellent ability to prioritize, organize, and manage multiple competing assignments and responsibilities.
Compensation and Benefits:
Position is full time and requires 40 hours/week. Schedule of work will be primarily Monday-Friday with occasional weekends or evenings required. The salary range for this position is $55,000-$65,000 annually and includes paid wellness days, vacation and holidays. Also included is a monthly healthcare reimbursement stipend.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org