Craft Alliance is a non-profit art center in St. Louis, Missouri, dedicated to exhibiting contemporary craft and teaching craft techniques. Nationally recognized as one of the premier craft organizations in the country, Craft Alliance is the only organization of its kind in the region solely dedicated to contemporary craft. Craft Alliance offers classes in craft techniques, artist residencies, community programs, exhibitions and a gallery shop. Relocated in 2020 to 5080 Delmar, Craft Alliance has studios for ceramics, metals, fibers, glass, wood, 2-D art, digital art, and artists-in-residence. Craft Alliance organization is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Director of Education is a visionary leader who governs all aspects of a comprehensive program of craft education curricula and events for the Education Center, including planning, implementing, and evaluating tuition based education programming of classes, camps and workshops to fulfill the mission of Craft Alliance. The Director of Education occupies an important leadership position, serving as a member of the Leadership Team, and understands the role of board and committee relations within the context of the organization.
Skills and Qualifications
- MFA or Master’s Degree in art education or similar
- Five to seven years relevant experience
- Demonstrated ability to plan and implement programs
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of learning and teaching methodology
- Computer skills including knowledge of databases
- Experience managing teaching faculty
- Proven ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks
- Knowledge of craft related materials and techniques and the national craft landscape
- Ability to understand organization’s mission, and to use this standard to guide decision-making
- Understanding of board and committee relationships
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends is required
- Experience with nontraditional students and/or community based education is preferred
- Administers education programs including studio classes, workshops, summer art camp, and visiting artists
- Selects, trains, supervises, and evaluates direct reports, including the Facilities Manager, Studio Technician, Registrar, Guest Services Coordinator and teaching Faculty
- Manages weekly enrollment updates on master spread sheets
- Develops and implements a quality curriculum consistent with the mission statement
- Works with Studio Technician and Facilities Manager on studio needs, including equipment and supplies
- Conducts systematic evaluation of staff, faculty, and programs, including analysis and reporting on enrollment and achievement of education outcomes. Recommends and implements changes and new programming as needed
- Develops and implements appropriate policies and procedures for Education staff and faculty
- Assists Development department in obtaining financial support for education programs
- Plans program schedules and works with marketing team to promote and achieve enrollment goals. Completes enrollment and evaluation reports for each fiscal year
- Communicates regularly with staff and faculty through meetings and correspondence
- Keeps abreast of happenings in the craft community
- Manages Education department income and expenses towards reaching annual fiscal goals
- Prepares the annual Education budget in coordination with the senior leadership team.
- Has staff liaison responsibility for the Education Committee
- Attends board meetings and participates in board planning as needed
- Supports special events
Reports to Executive Director
Supervises the Facilities Manager, Studio Technician, Registrar, Guest Services Coordinator, and teaching Faculty.
Member of the Leadership Team
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Paid time off, health insurance, discounts on education classes and purchases in the gallery and gallery shop are part of the Craft Alliance benefits package.
This is a full-time position. Must be able to work flexible hours as needed.
To apply, please submit resume, cover letter and three professional references to Mark Witzling, Executive Director, at email@example.com.