Reports to: Executive Director
Salary: Starting $50,000 commensurate with experience
Benefits: Health (medical, dental, vision) insurance, life insurance, abortion coverage, retirement plan, paid vacation and holidays, paid family and medical leave, education benefit and professional development opportunities, hybrid work community, remote work reimbursement
Status: Full time exempt
Location: St. Louis, MO
Pro-Choice Missouri is dedicated to building and sustaining a constituency that uses the political process to guarantee reproductive health, rights, and justice for every Missourian, including but not limited to preventive care, family planning, sexuality education, maternity/birthing parent care, and accessible, legal abortion. Pro-Choice Missouri is a grassroots 501(c)(4) advocacy organization. Two additional affiliated organizations help advance Pro-Choice Missouri’s mission. The Pro-Choice Missouri Foundation conducts public education and research intended to increase public awareness of relevant reproductive health, rights, and justice issues. The Pro-Choice Missouri PAC (PCM PAC) is the political action committee that conducts direct electoral work with and for pro-choice candidates.
Enthusiastic, creative go-getter with communications and digital experience, who is excited to work hard to advance reproductive freedom. Work with the executive director to implement an aggressive media outreach and digital communications strategy for Pro-Choice Missouri. Responsible for drafting quotes, talking points, and press releases, as well as managing organizational content calendar that includes social media, membership emails, and other digital tools to create a robust digital footprint that draws in membership and traffic. Overall, the communications director role is equal parts public liaison and content creation. Someone in this position might just as easily hold a press conference to announce a new initiative or respond to media inquiries as they would pore over the details of a spreadsheet to ensure the PR budget is on track, or draft an educational tweet thread. Must be passionate about reproductive health, rights, and justice, like to talk (especially to reporters), and interested in identifying new and creative ideas for the organization to explore.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Establish and drive a multi-channel communications strategy
- Develop brand voice and maintain brand integrity across all platforms; ensuring that all internal and external communications related to them align tightly with org goals.
- Manage media relations and develop contacts with media members, influencers, and community leaders.
- Managing the organization’s social media presence, including daily content creation and posting
- Drawing up communications plans with clearly defined objectives, key performance indicators, audiences and timetables
- Drafting and reviewing written deliverables such as emails, press releases, newsletters and brochures
- Coordinating rapid-response crisis communications
- Supporting the planning of events such as fundraisers, panel discussions and press conferences
- Manage membership database (Every Action), and voter database (NGP), and conduct necessary data imports and exports related to membership communications
Ideal candidate will possess the following qualities and skills:
- Strong commitment to reproductive rights and justice
- A deep desire to see transformational change in Missouri
- Familiarity with Reproductive Justice issues in Missouri including maternal/birthing parent mortality, racial inequities in reproductive health care access, pregnancy discrimination, criminalization of abortion, and other related issues.
- An intersectional lens and ability to educate others on Reproductive Justice issues
- Familiarity with political environment and community in Missouri
- Experience with pitching and placing earned media; and developing strong relationships with media and coalition partners
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency in voter and membership management systems (i.e. VAN, EveryAction, etc.), online advocacy tools, Slack, and Google Drive
- Exceptional organizational skills, attention to detail and strategic thinking
- Ability to independently manage several projects at one time, set priorities and follow a strategic plan
- Flexibility in work environment
- Ability to communicate effectively and to build positive relationships with elected officials, staff, volunteers, board members, and Pro-Choice Missouri membership
To apply: Submit a cover letter, resume, and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline is February 21st, 2022
Pro-Choice Missouri values and respects diversity in its many forms: race, ethnicity, national origin, ability, class, faith, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, and experience. We welcome a broad array of applicants. Inclusivity is important to our mission and daily work.
Pro-Choice Missouri is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender association, gender expression, marital status, military status or physical or mental disability.
The Pro-Choice Missouri team is committed to protecting our team and our community. All applicants must be fully vaccinated against Covid 19. Reasonable accommodations will be considered.
THIS JOB DESCRIPTION IS NOT INTENDED TO BE A COMPLETE LIST OF ALL RESPONSIBILITIES, DUTIES, OR SKILLS FOR THIS POSITION AND IS SUBJECT TO REVIEW AND CHANGE IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE NEEDS OF THE ORGANIZATION