Reporting to: Peter Palermo, Executive Director and Stefanie Kirkland, Director of Programming
The Sheldon seeks an energized and organized individual with strong communication and customer service skills to be Assistant Director of Programming. The Assistant Director of Programming will be at the center of The Sheldon’s artistic and production teams and works closely with the tech team, volunteers, and event staff. They must have a love of the arts and a passion to deliver outstanding programming to the community.
About The Sheldon
The Sheldon is a nonprofit organization which provides concerts by the world’s greatest artists in its historic Sheldon Concert Hall, quality visual art exhibits in its adjacent Art Galleries and important education programs that change the lives of thousands of children in the St. Louis community and beyond. The Sheldon hosts over 350 events per year and welcomes over 100,000 visitors.
Built in 1912 as the Ethical Society of St. Louis, The Sheldon consists of a 700-seat concert hall, a 300-seat ballroom, a 500-seat banquet room and a 7,000 square foot art gallery. With a committed board of directors, The Sheldon has positioned itself as a financially stable artistic gem in the heart of St. Louis’ Grand Center Arts District.
Roles and Responsibilities
The Assistant Director of Programming works closely with the Director of Programming and the Executive Director to ensure the smooth execution of The Sheldon’s robust artistic programs. As the point of contact for all artist logistics, they must have excellent organizational and communication skills. This person will be both detail-oriented and adaptable as they work to ensure all artists receive warm hospitality, and that all their performance requirements are provided for.
This position works as the main point of contact between artists and The Sheldon, as well as in-house liaison day of show. The Assistant Director of Programming works as contract administrator, sending and finalizing artist contracts, as well as following through on artist payments. They act as the company manger in planning, organizing, and communicating artist logistics for travel, lodging, itineraries, and hospitality aspects of production. They also work closely with The Sheldon staff and are a positive team player, ensuring that all parties have a clear understanding of visit details.
This position is responsible for overseeing The Sheldon Volunteer Program. The successful candidate will have the strong leadership and diplomatic abilities needed to nurture and manage a successful and robust volunteer program. Those duties include recruiting, interviewing, and training volunteers to the organization. As volunteer coordinator, they work closely with the Programming Assistant to coordinate volunteer scheduling and record keeping. They organize the end of year celebration to recognize the work of the Volunteer Program
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent related work experience preferred.
- Previous management experience and team leadership is preferred, particularly in an arts/theater setting.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong administrative and customer service skills.
- Ability to see in a dark theater, climb stairs, work on your feet for extended periods of time and a tolerance for loud sounds.
- Diplomacy and discretion.
- Ability to work with individuals of various personality types, sensitivities, and cultural backgrounds.
- A valid U.S. driver’s license.
- Ability to work nights and weekends.
Terms of Employment
- 35-hour work week plus frequent nights and weekends. Competitive benefits package includes health insurance, retirement match and vacation.
- The Sheldon is an equal opportunity employer. People of Color, individuals with disabilities, members of the LBGTQIA+ community and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com. Please no telephone inquiries.