About Show-Me School-Based Health Alliance of Missouri
The Show-Me School-Based Health Alliance (SMSBHA) is a new organization dedicated to improving health and education outcomes for children and youth in Missouri by advancing schoolbased health care. As an emerging statewide affiliate of the national School-Based Health Alliance, SMSBHA supports communities in building and sustaining school-based health programs.
SMSBHA will ultimately applying for 501(c)(3) nonprofit status with the IRS and is fortunate to have significant initial financial support as well as the fiscal sponsorship of Washington University in St. Louis. The organization incorporated in Missouri in November 2018 and is governed by a Board of Directors representing school-based health programs, sponsors, and schools from across the state. Throughout 2019 and 2020, major focus areas for the SMSBHA include:
- Completing the transition from a project of Washington University to an independent, sustainable nonprofit organization.
- Establishing itself as the voice for school-based health programming throughout the state.
- Developing a robust collection of resources and educational programming to support school-based health programs.
- Growing a network of individuals, organizations, and funders committed to carrying on the work as we set a new standard for school-based health affiliates across the country.
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and will direct the work of a staff team of three.
As the leader of a start-up organization, the SMSBHA Executive Director must demonstrate an ability to connect, motivate, and engage volunteers not only around the importance of schoolbased health care, but also around the need for a state-wide organization to promote this important work. As the public face of the organization, the Executive Director must build and expand relationships with a broad network of partners, funders, and school-based health care providers. The Board is seeking a strategic problem-solver with a demonstrated history of working proactively, adapting to (and leading) change, sound decision making, and inspiring volunteers and staff to take action.
This is initially a two-year, grant-funded position, temporarily under the Missouri School Board Association, with renewal and renegotiation dependent upon the success and growth of the organization. It is the goal for this position to be employed by the SMSBHA within two years.
Areas of Responsibility Strategy, Leadership and Governance
Embrace the mission, vision and values of Show-Me School-Based Health Alliance of Missouri and inspire others to use their skills, abilities and connections to help further the mission.
- Support the growth and development of the Board of Directors and its related committees:
- Assist with agenda preparation and meeting coordination;
- Participate in Board member recruitment, orientation, training and development;
- With the Board, recommend, establish and periodically review governance policies and procedures; and
- Maintain appropriate transparency and lines of communication with Board members, facilitating action on and implementation of Board decisions.
- With the Board, establish organizational goals, strategies and action plans.
- Ensure compliance with legal and regulatory standards for Missouri nonprofit organizations, as well as best practices as identified by the national School-Based Health Alliance.
- Maintain awareness of trends, legislation, and other external factors that impact school-based health in Missouri and keep the Board apprised of such developments.
- With the Board, establish an annual operating budget; monitor and report on the actual revenue and expenses compared to budget.
- Develop and implement financial policies and procedures.
- Serve as the primary liaison to the grants sponsor, administrative services provider and other vendors or partners that support the financial sustainability of SMSBHA.
- Create and implement annual and long-term revenue generating plans, including but not limited to grants and fund development strategies, fee-for-service programs, membership dues, special events, sponsorships and other revenue sources as needed.
- Research funding opportunities and build partnerships with potential funders.
- Prepare grant proposals and create fund-development materials.
- Ensure appropriate stewardship of gifts and grants.
Program and Organization Development
- Direct program planning and implementation.
- Ensure the development of systems to monitor and evaluate program and organizational outcomes and effectiveness.
- Work with committee leadership to establish annual advocacy and public policy priorities; ensure the development of resources and materials to support the annual advocacy agenda.
- Work with committee leadership to establish annual program goals in response to the education and training needs of professionals involved with school-based health programs; ensure the development and availability of resources, programs and materials to support the growth of school-based health centers throughout the state.
- Develop the membership program for SMSBHA, including establishment of the membership structure, materials to encourage membership, evaluating membership trends and providing value to members.
Marketing and Public Relations
- Serve as the primary spokesperson for SMSBHA.
- Increase visibility for SMSBHA through development and implementation of a comprehensive marketing and communications plan, including website, social media, media relations, printed materials, e-newsletters, and other communications tools.
- Actively market SMSBHA and raise awareness by conducting presentations and participating in public speaking events, workshops, and panels.
- Network and build relationships with statewide partners and stakeholders.
Human Resource Management
- Hire, train, supervise and provide ongoing coaching, development, and evaluation to all staff.
- Along with administrative services provider, ensure the development and implementation of clear personnel policies.
- Actively maintain relationships with volunteers serving on the Board and committees.
- Ensure that paid staff and volunteers have the resources necessary to do their jobs.
- Assess staffing needs and build a team that maximizes the use of organizational resources.
- Ensure compliance with employment laws and contractual requirements.
- Five years of progressive experience in nonprofit leadership and management, with documented ability to manage staff and lead teams
- Bachelor’s degree required; an advanced degree in healthcare or educational administration, nonprofit management, social work or a related field preferred
- Proven ability to build strong external relationships with a funders, donors, volunteers, public officials and partner organizations
- Track record in financial management, stewardship and developing strategies to successfully increase revenue; experience leading a start-up organization would be valuable
- Grants management experience including researching, writing and managing grant funds from public and private funding sources
- Experience in developing and working with a diverse Board of Directors
- Experience with government relations preferred
- Strong communication skills with the ability to cast a vision for SMSBHA in writing and through public speaking
Compensation is negotiable based on experience and education.
If you are interested in and are qualified for this position, please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A cover letter highlighting why you are interested in the position and summarizing how your experience matches the position’s qualifications. Please also include your minimum salary expectations.
- A current resume or curriculum vitae, and
- A list of four (4) professional references that can speak to your experience. Please include name, address, telephone number, email address and your relationship with the reference.
All inquiries and submissions will be kept confidential.
Review of resumes will begin immediately and will be accepted until the position is filled.