Missouri Health Care for All
Missouri Health Care for All, a non-partisan, faith and community-based grassroots movement committed to securing access to affordable, high-quality health care for all Missourians is seeking a full-time Jefferson County Grassroots Organizer.
Location: This person will work from their home in Jefferson County, Missouri. There will be frequent regional travel and periodic statewide travel (1 trip per month, average). Some trips will require an overnight stay.
About the Organization: Missouri Health Care for All was founded on the principle that every Missourian should have access to quality affordable health care. We work with faith communities, community groups, service providers, people who need health care, and grassroots supporters statewide to advocate for these principles. We work to defend current health care programs and funding and to advance policies that improve access to care.
About the Job: The Jefferson County Organizer will work with Missouri Health Care for All to build, develop and engage a broad base of Missourians in support of increased access to health care. This organizer will focus on Jefferson County, with some work in Southeast Missouri, in addition to assisting with statewide work.
We have a base of supporters and partners in both Jefferson County and Southeast Missouri, thanks to the efforts of current and prior staff members. We are looking for someone who can build on the work that has been done to facilitate a strong grassroots voice in support of access to health care.
The right candidate will be flexible, mature, passionate and personable and excited to join our statewide team.
Reporting & Staffing Structure:
The Jefferson County Organizer will report directly to Missouri Health Care for All’s Organizing Director, who is based in St. Louis, Missouri. Other staff are based in St. Louis, Joplin, Springfield, Kansas City, and Jefferson City, Missouri.
- Recruit new individual supporters and develop relationships with existing supporters in both Jefferson County and Southeast Missouri.
- Identify and engage supportive organizations, including those that have already partnered with Missouri Health Care for All and those that are potential partners.
- Help individual and organizational supporters to participate in advocacy tactics. Tactics may include legislator meetings, visibility events, canvassing, phonebanking, writing letters to the editor, and more.
- Assist with statewide Story Collection Project. Implement tactics to identify, interview, and engage local Missourians who are personally impacted by health policy issues.
- Participate in local and statewide coalitions.
- Identify and build leadership among active volunteers.
- Assist with statewide organizing activities such as in-Capitol Lobby Days.
- Conduct educational presentations on health care issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experiences:
- Passion for Missouri Health Care for All’s mission of quality, affordable health care for all people
- Strong grounding in values and ethics and an ability to connect values to health care
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- Connections to and relationships within the local community
- Experience in grassroots organizing or campaigns (paid, volunteer, or internship)
- The ability to connect with diverse groups, including people from across the political spectrum
- Experience building relationships with volunteers and coalition partners
- Ability to work from home with remote supervision
- Very strong written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking skills
- Basic computer skills and ability to learn new software programs
- Reliable transportation and driver’s license
Salary and Benefits:
Salary of $38,000 per year. Benefits include generous health, dental and vision insurance; generous vacation and sick leave; and paid holidays. Intangible benefits include great coworkers, a growing and thriving organization, and an opportunity to make a difference.
MHCFA does not have a local office. We expect the selected candidate to work from home. MHCFA will furnish a computer, printer, and necessary office supplies.
Please send cover letter and resume to Jake Walker at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use “Jefferson County Organizer” as your subject line.
Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. For greatest consideration, please submit your application by Friday, March 15.
Missouri Health Care for All is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, military service, or any legally protected status.