LifeWise StL is searching for a full-time Teen Advisor for its high school program, LifeWise Academy. LifeWise Academy is a high school and post-secondary success program for high school students in the St. Louis Area. Teen Advisors provide direct support for one grade level of scholars, but have interactions with students across grade levels. Student engagement at the agency takes place from 3:00pm to 7:30pm Monday through Thursday. The remaining work hours for administrative tasks will be coordinated with the director. During the summer, staff hours are adjusted with summer programming (CDF Freedom Schools serve children from 8am to 3pm).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Recruit and enroll youth for LifeWise Academy.
- Meet with students individually at least once a month to discuss school, goals, career interests, etc. Advisors are responsible for helping students identify steps to achieving their goals.
- Communicate with parents regarding their children.
- Communicate with school counselors and teachers regarding any academic concerns.
- Facilitate life skills classes utilizing the Teen Outreach Program curriculum.
- Organize and lead after school/summer enrichment activities.
- Maintain accurate participant files, including attendance, using the agency database (currently Efforts to Outcomes/ETO).
- Serve as a site coordinator for Children’s Defense Fund (CDF) Freedom Schools.
- Provide transportation for students using the agency 15 passenger van as needed.
- Research and support the acquisition of additional resources to support scholars.
- Other duties as assigned.
- LifeWise StL staff partner with individual and group volunteers, who provide over 25,000 service hours to the organization annually. As such, the successful employee will work collaboratively with organizational leadership, co-workers, volunteers, and colleagues from within and outside the organization to deliver and support holistic, client-focused programming.
Required Experience and Skills:
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Flexibility – can adjust to change with a positive attitude
- Mental agility – can think quickly, make sound decisions, and improvise when things do not go as planned
- Initiative – highly motivated, self-starter able to recognize and implement tasks before being asked
- Creativity – ability to think outside the box and bring ideas to life in new ways
- Strong computer skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Previous experience working with diverse populations
- Must obtain Class E endorsement on driver’s license within 90 days of employment
- Must pass criminal background checks
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Knowledge and sensitivity toward needs, opportunities, and resources available for youth
- Previous experience building relationships with high school students
- Previous experience facilitating life skills classes
How to Apply:
It is the policy of LifeWise StL to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class in accordance with applicable laws.
Please send a resume, cover letter and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org. In subject line, please write “Teen Advisor.”