Jewish Community Relations Council of St. Louis (JCRC)
START DATE: Fall 2018 (Immediate Hire)
SALARY: This is a full-time position with a full benefits package. Salary commensurate with experience/education
The Jewish Community Relations Council of St. Louis (JCRC) works within the Jewish and broader communities in St. Louis to enhance cooperation with other religious, racial, ethnic and civic groups; foster a just, democratic and pluralistic society; and promote the security of Israel and Jews everywhere. Guided by Jewish values, the JCRC advocates, educates, collaborates and mobilizes action on issues important to the Jewish community. JCRC envisions a more just society and a strong, vibrant Jewish community in the United States and in Israel, and seeks to enhance that strength and vibrancy through collaboration with other communities. To that end, we work to:
- Promote equality of opportunity and full civil rights and civil liberties for Jewish and all other racial, religious and ethnic groups in Missouri;
- Encourage amicable relationship, mutual understanding and respect among various religious, ethnic, civic, and political groups;
- Create and maintain conditions that are conducive to encouraging the continuity and vitality of Jewish living in a pluralistic society;
- Combat antisemitism and other forms of racism or group prejudice.
The JCRC Policy Associate will work in close cooperation with the JCRC’s Executive Director to oversee the planning, coordination, and implementation of advocacy campaigns and educational programs on identified JCRC priority areas in the realm of social justice, domestic affairs, and Israel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee strategy and implementation of issue campaigns within Jewish community and with partner communities, including researching and drafting position papers, building relationships with legislators and public officials, and coordinating legislative strategies.
- Engage and mobilize stakeholders through participating in issue and advocacy coalitions, raising awareness and disseminating information in the community on core issues, and creating action plans for advancing strategic change.
- Coordinate strategy and programming of Israel policy and Israel engagement.
- All other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None
- Ability to work collaboratively across legislative coalitions and represent JCRC priorities therein
- Ability to conduct quick, thorough research; write concisely and persuasively; speak publicly with confidence
- Knowledge of Israel and the Jewish community, values, history, heritage and culture.
- A strong track record as an implementer who is able to multi-task and prioritize
- Ability to adapt and apply skills to new and changing scopes of work
- Flexibility, consideration, and a sense of humor
- Should have interest in: community organizing; securing civil rights; enhancing human services for those in need; the legislative process; public policy; non-profit work; and/or the organized Jewish community
- Excitement about being part of an ambitious, growing, and quickly changing organization that is in the process of implementing a new Strategic Plan
- Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel; databases; WordPress; Facebook and Twitter. Should also have an ability, willingness and desire to maintain skill level as technology advances
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field. Graduate Degree a plus.
- 2-3 years of experience in public affairs, legislative, or lobbying activities. May include work on political campaigns or as a legislative staff member.
- Previous experience with a non-profit organization preferred.
Applicants should send cover letter and resume to Maharat Rori Picker Neiss, Executive Director of JCRC, at email@example.com.