The Wilson School, an independent school for 175 students ages 3 through 6th grade, seeks a full-time Director of Development. We are seeking a dynamic person to lead our development efforts. In addition to the day-to-day operations of the development office, the Development Director will play a pivotal role in advancing the school’s mission by planning and executing fundraising initiatives, including strategically expanding major gift fundraising efforts.
This position reports to the Head of School and serves as the staff liaison for the Board of Trustees Advancement Committee as well as the Alumni Association.
At Wilson, we assume an ongoing responsibility to act as part of a larger community. In our recruitment practices, we strive to create a community whose members reflect the diversity inherent in the greater St. Louis area, as well as in the world. When children graduate from the school, we hope they will carry with them a strong sense of their identity, a willingness to see the common threads that run through all our lives, and a high regard for the value and breadth of differences.
- Fundraising Strategy: Develop and implement a comprehensive fundraising strategy to meet annual and long-term fundraising goals.
- Major Gift Planning: Put into place strategies and approaches customized to elicit major gifts for the organization. Partner with the Head of School and board to secure commitments for such gifts.
- Donor Cultivation: Identify, cultivate, and steward parents, grandparents, friends, alumni, and other stakeholders to build lasting relationships and secure financial support.
- Campaign Management: Lead annual, capital, and endowment giving campaigns as well as other fundraising initiatives, including donor prospecting and solicitation.
- Event Management: Oversee the planning and execution of fundraising events, including donor receptions, auctions, and alumni gatherings.
- Volunteerism: Lead the recruitment and education effort to develop volunteer staff to support the fundraising initiatives of the school.
- Data Management: Manage gift processing, donor acknowledgment, and the donor database. Work with the Director of Finance and Development Associate to ensure the appropriate accounting of gifts and maintain records documenting donor restrictions.
- Budget Management: Develop and manage the development budget, ensuring fiscal responsibility and accountability.
- Communications: Meet regularly with the Head of School and Advancement Committee to report goals and initiatives as well as garner feedback regarding strategies and direction.
- Deep appreciation and understanding of the school’s mission and the ability to articulate its values and vision internally and externally.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree with preferred emphasis in nonprofit management, communications, marketing, business administration, or related field.
- Experience in fundraising or a related field.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and cultivate donor relationships for major gifts.
- Excellent written and verbal communication abilities.
- Extreme tact and discretion, attention to detail, and a commitment to excellence.
- Experience with donor database management and fundraising software.
- Ability to think strategically, set goals, and develop and execute fundraising plans.
For consideration, please email your resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please. To learn more about The Wilson School, visit our website, wilsonschool.com.