National Shrine of St. Frances Xavier Cabrini, Inc.
National Shrine of St. Frances Xavier Cabrini, Inc.
The Moran Company is pleased to partner with the National Shrine of St. Frances Xavier Cabrini, Inc. to recruit the organization’s new Executive Director.
“To be bearers of the love of Christ in the world. This commitment implies nothing less than a desire to love as Jesus loved, with the total self-gift of our lives, seeking to reach those most vulnerable, neglected or marginalized.” M.S.C. Charism
The Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus (M.S.C.), assisted by the Shrine Board of Directors, have begun a search for the Shrine’s next Executive Director.
Frances Cabrini was born on July 15, 1850 in a small village called Sant’ Angelo Lodigiano near the city of Milan, Italy. In 1880, with seven young women, Frances founded the Institute of the Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Enthralled by the stories of missionaries, Cabrini had long dreamed of going to China, but at the urging of Bishop Scalabrini from Piacenza, and with the guidance of Pope Leo XIII, she went to New York City instead to serve the Italian immigrant population there.
From that first New York foundation in 1889, Cabrini opened foundations in 67 places across three continents, including in Chicago the now-demolished Columbus Hospital, which she founded in 1905, and where she died in 1917.
Pope Pius XI beatified her in 1938 and Pope Pius XII canonized her in 1946. Since 1950, Cabrini has been recognized as the Patron of Immigrants. Pope John Paul II gave Frances Cabrini another title for the new millennium – Missionary of the New Evangelization. Pope Francis, who knew the Cabrini Sisters in his native Argentina, often invokes her intercession in his prayer for and work on behalf of migrants.
After Cabrini’s death, her convent room at Columbus Hospital became a popular destination for the faithful seeking personal healing and spiritual comfort. Due to the overwhelming number of pilgrims after her canonization in 1946, Cardinal Samuel Stritch, dedicated the shrine within the hospital complex in 1955. Later in the century, this received recognition as the National Shrine of St. Frances Cabrini.
The hospital and shrine closed in 2002, to be replaced by a high-rise development on North Lakeview Avenue, but the Shrine area and Cabrini’s room were preserved and refurbished during the long period of demolition and construction. The Shrine was reopened in 2012. Today, the National Shrine of Saint Frances Xavier Cabrini is a stand-alone center in the Lincoln Park neighborhood for prayer, worship, spiritual care and pilgrimage. It is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
We seek a dynamic leader to join us as our Executive Director. The new Executive Director will have a chance to help shape and build the Shrine’s ministry as we move into the next stage of our existence. This person will be committed to Mother Cabrini’s message to bring Christ’s love to immigrants, migrant workers, the vulnerable, and the poor. The Executive Director will be responsible for setting a new direction, advancing the Shrine, and managing the organization. The position reports to the Shrine’s Board of Directors.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Drive the process of visioning, developing, and articulating new strategic objectives and programs with the Board of Directors.
- Ensure the Cabrini legacy by advancing its charism of helping immigrants, the vulnerable, and the marginalized.
- Serve as the primary face of the Shrine in the external community – being active and visible in the community (including parishes, ministries of the archdiocese, and beyond), speaking on behalf of the Shrine, and communicating the Cabrini message, spirituality, and values.
- Raise the Shrine’s visibility in the Community.
- Administer Shrine Operations.
- Participate in fundraising efforts.
Qualifications and Skills Needed
The requirements listed below represent the attributes, knowledge, and skills needed.
- A Catholic spirituality that is committed to the message and the guiding principles of Mother Cabrini.
- The ability to attract and inspire others, including staff and volunteers. Be open to accepting many different types of people, ideologies and viewpoints.
- The ability to envision and convey a vision for the organization’s strategic future to the staff, board, volunteers and donors.
- Excellent relational skills to establish effective relationships with staff, clergy, and volunteers. Ability to build strong collaborative teams and a strong organizational culture.
- Can form partnerships with external organizations to achieve strategic objectives.
- Experience and skill in working with a Board of Directors.
- Strong management abilities – Can oversee the successful implementation of new programs.
- Leadership experience with significant administrative responsibilities, preferably in the nonprofit sector.
- A humble, and approachable demeanor with the ability to be assertive when needed.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Past experience in working with the Catholic Church is a plus.
- Bilingual Language skills (Spanish) are a plus.
- Experience in organizing events is a plus.
- Technology awareness and media savvy to promote and educate on the Shrine Activities.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- A spirituality aligned with the M.S.C. charism
- Strategic Thinking
- Creative/innovative Thinking
- Diplomatic Leadership
- Excellent Communication and Relationship building skills
- Collaboration Skills
- Results Driven
- Operational Management
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $85,000 to $90,000 depending on qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits include a full range of health insurance (medical, dental, vision,) retirement contributions, disability insurance, PTO, and other benefits.
The Shrine firmly supports the principle and philosophy of equal opportunity for all individuals, regardless of age, race, gender, national origin, disability or veteran status.
The search for the National Shrine of St. Frances Xavier Cabrini, Inc. Executive Director is being conducted by The Moran Company. To apply for this position, submit a cover letter and resume to Bill Moran, The Moran Company. APPLY NOW