Donald Danforth Plant Science Center
A Full-time position for a Grant Specialist is available in the at the Donald Danforth Plant Science Center. This position will provide pre-award and post-award grant support to several scientific Principal Investigators (PI). For more information, visit our Danforth webpage.
- Review grant RFPs/FOAs; create checklist for proposal submission; create proposal templates and personnel documents for PI; track progress throughout proposal process to ensure timelines are met; maintain profiles in agency systems; create budget package and coordinate with finance; assist and coordinate grant submissions (including all relevant proposal documents); communicate with co-PIs and subaward institutions throughout proposal process; assist PI with annual/progress reports
- Track funding sources (grants, subawards, start-up, industry) and assist PI with managing a funding portfolio by creating monthly projection reports and forecasts to assist with decision making; process invoices for payment; review subaward agreements, process subaward invoices, and track subaward expenditures/reporting; identify expenditures for preparing cost transfer reports, preparing budget adjustments, and preparing Personnel Action Forms (PAFs); perform project close-out
- Track capital equipment purchases (track CIPs, etc)
- Assist with equipment orders by working with the Finance Department to initiate CIP codes, submit equipment orders via Sciquest, track CIPs, and notify Finance Department once CIP can be capitalized
- Proofread grant narratives and manuscripts (may include submitting to scientific journals)
- Assist with Core Facility finances by compiling and tracking monthly equipment utilization statistics and charges, create custom billing reports for facility/equipment users if needed, and assist in creating quarterly budget and space utilization reports
- Maintain relationships with internal and external collaborators
- Perform other duties as assigned by Supervisors
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Solid computer knowledge with a strong proficiency in Excel. Proficiency with Word, Outlook, PowerPoint is required. Experience with Google Docs and Google calendar is preferred.
- Able to organize, multitask time efficiently, prioritize responsibilities appropriately, be proactive with tasks as assigned, and work both independently and collaboratively while demonstrating professionalism and respect
- Strict attention to detail
- Effective Analytic skills
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Actively contribute to a positive work environment
- The ideal candidate will be eager to learn and share knowledge and will possess a strong service commitment
- Live the Danforth Center values: Collaboration, Diversity & Inclusion, Innovation, Integrity & Respect, Environmental Sustainability, and Stewardship
The successful candidate will:
- Possess an associate’s degree and 5 years of experience in research administration or bachelor’s degree in business administration or related field
- Experience with grant submissions and the grant management life cycle is preferred
- Apply to https://www.danforthcenter.org/careers/
- Cover letter clearly describing research interest and career goals
- Contact information for three (3) professional references
About the Donald Danforth Plant Science Center:
Founded in 1998, The Donald Danforth Plant Science Center is an independent, non-profit organization with a mission to improve the human condition through plant science. Our focus is scientific research at the nexus of food, energy and the environment to improve the productivity and sustainability of agriculture. We assemble interactive teams of scientists and develop unique platforms to discover underlying principles about how plants work. We then convert that knowledge into useful crops and products, and partner with organizations that are best positioned to solve problems where they exist around the world. The Center’s work is funded through competitive grants from many sources, including the National Institutes of Health, U.S. Department of Energy, National Science Foundation and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
The Donald Danforth Plant Science Center is proudly an equal employment opportunity employer. Employment decisions at the Danforth Center are based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. It is our policy that the Danforth Center does not discriminate in employment opportunities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, or national origin and status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to access the information provided on this web site, please contact Human Resources, at 314-587-1033 for further assistance.