Missouri Technology Corporation
Founded in 1994, the Missouri Technology Corporation (MTC) is a public-private partnership established by the Missouri General Assembly. Its purpose is to drive innovation and entrepreneurship in Missouri, primarily focusing on nurturing high-tech companies within the state. MTC operates through a combination of state budget appropriations and federal funding, enabling it to strategically invest in and support the growth of technology-based businesses in Missouri.
MTC is seeking an experienced and innovative Operations Manager who is highly skilled in strategy execution and business operations to play a critical role within the organization. MTC needs an astute operational leader who can harness the organization’s collective strengths, build sustainable infrastructure, collaborate with internal and external stakeholders, and effectively oversee business operations.
The Operations Manager will be integral in advancing the organization’s impact and mission by developing and implementing operational strategies to ensure the organization meets its goals and objectives in a cost-effective and efficient manner. The Operations Manager will ensure that MTC’s resources (human, financial, and technological) are being effectively utilized and will monitor and evaluate team performance against established benchmarks and key performance indicators.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to, firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that MTC has a residency requirement. All candidates must currently be a resident of Missouri or be willing to relocate immediately upon hire to qualify for the position. Preference will be given to candidates who reside or are willing to reside in St. Louis, Columbia, or Jefferson City as close proximity to the Executive Director and current staff is preferred.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
· Collaborate with the Executive Director in the development and execution of goals, objectives, and policies for MTC.
· Maintain open and effective lines of communication with the Executive Director, ensuring they are well-informed about critical issues related to the organization, community, programs, and initiatives.
· Oversee the operational aspects of MTC’s diverse departments, programs, and initiatives, encompassing technology research and development, innovation support, funding allocation, and stakeholder engagement.
· Establish and recommend policies and procedures that cultivate a positive and productive employee experience.
· Manage all HR functions, drafting and enforcement of internal policies, and overall people-focused priorities.
· Manage editing and updating of the employee handbook, ensuring its alignment with organizational policies, and regulatory compliance.
· Manage annual staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, and conduct annual performance appraisals at the direction of the Executive Director.
· Lead MTC’s people and culture initiatives, fostering an inclusive and high-performing environment that aligns with core values and boosts employee engagement and professional growth.
· Oversee additional HR functions, including talent acquisition, employee relationship management, and training programs, to support workforce development.
· Implement strategic succession planning to ensure seamless leadership transitions and maintain organizational excellence.
· Evaluate the organization’s overall performance through data analysis and interpretation, communicating results, variances, gaps, and recommendations to the Executive Director.
· Collaborate with the Executive Director to establish and document best practices for internal finance and accounting policies and procedures.
· Advise the Executive Director and other key members of senior management on financial planning, cash flow, investment priorities, and relevant policy matters.
· Provide oversight and support to the annual financial audit, 990 filing, and other applicable tax filings, monitoring activities to prevent unexpected variances and ensure regulatory compliance.
· Upgrade and implement an appropriate system of fiscal policies, internal controls, accounting standards, and procedures.
· Manage payroll, development of and adherence to/tracking of annual operating budget, accounting, expense approvals, service providers, etc.
· Direct the supervision of all vendor and contractor agreements, proactively reviewing vendor gaps in relation to MTC’s evolving needs and evaluating the need for Request for Proposals (RFPs) to optimize service quality and cost-effectiveness.
· Implement and maintain quarterly reporting to the Executive Director and Board of Directors to ensure that MTC is monitoring its financial activities versus the approved budget.
· Oversee and improve administrative and operational accounting services such as internal expense reporting, grant payment processing, payroll, accounts payable, and purchasing.
· Effectively manage board relations and activities, including the preparation and coordination of board meetings, crafting agendas, compiling, and distributing relevant documents, and ensuring effective communication of key issues and decisions.
WHAT QUALIFIES YOU
The ideal candidate for the role of Operations Manager must be a people-first person, possessing a calm demeanor and an egoless approach, yet confident in their work and abilities. They should bring extensive experience in operations management, ideally within the Venture Capital sphere or related fields like economic development, business, or government. Demonstrating strong leadership skills, adept communication abilities, and the capacity to efficiently juggle multiple priorities and stakeholders within a fast-paced, dynamic environment is crucial. The candidate should have natural intuition, a penchant for quick learning, and a proactive problem-solving approach, coupled with the ability to identify and seize opportunities. The candidate should possess a talent for building consensus through strong emotional intelligence, superb listening skills, and lead their team with empathy, dignity, and respect.
· Exhibits clear, effective, and organized written and verbal communication.
· Ability to work independently on complex and confidential assignments without detailed instruction.
· Proficient in standard office management, communications, presentation, and productivity tools.
· Ability to travel as needed for the performance of duties.
· Actively addresses challenges, demonstrates an eagerness to learn, sets high-performance standards, and maintains dedication despite obstacles.
· Exhibits positive conduct, takes responsibility for actions, collaborates effectively with teams, and is open to diverse viewpoints.
· Applies critical thinking in decision-making, ensures accuracy in work, and creatively generates and implements new ideas.
· Manages conflicts constructively, excels in both oral and written communication, and maintains confidentiality.
· Supports and adheres to organizational policies, adapts to changing environments, and manages competing demands.
· Follows instructions, takes personal responsibility for work, maintains consistent attendance, and arrives punctually for commitments.
· The Operations Manager is expected to possess a Bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution, preferably in fields such as economic development, urban planning, economics, marketing, business, or related disciplines.
· A minimum of 5 years’ experience in an operations-focused role, including 3 years managing teams in economic development, venture capital, job and investment attraction, or business is preferred. An equivalent mix of education and experience may also be considered.
· Necessary skills include proficiency in business planning, understanding the operational impacts of relevant local laws, and financial management.
· Strong computer literacy is required, including expertise in MS Office suite, Google Suite, Adobe, and the ability to quickly adapt to other software tools.
· Experience in entrepreneur support and ties to the Missouri entrepreneurial ecosystem is desired.
· Commitment to growing entrepreneurial impact in Missouri is required.
· Must possess a valid driver’s license and access to a dependable vehicle for work-related travel.
POSITION TYPE/EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
This a full-time, exempt position with health benefits and paid-time-off. Work hours are from 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday. MTC provides a remote work environment and follows a 40-hour work week for full-time employees. Evening and weekend work is required as job duties demand.
Commensurate with experience, we offer a competitive base salary range of $95,000 – $110,000 and a culture which fosters and supports creativity and innovation. MTC offers a full range of employee benefits, including health, vision, and dental insurance, and 401k matching.
Screening is to begin immediately, and the position will be open until filled. Resumes received by February 12, 2024, will receive the fullest consideration.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
MTC is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee based on race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy, childbirth, physical disability, mental and/or intellectual disability, age, military status or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran, marital status, registered domestic partner status or civil union status, gender (including sex stereotyping and gender identity or expression), genetic information, sexual orientation, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local law.