Founded as Women’s Self-Help Center in 1976, today Safe Connections is a well-established and innovative nonprofit leader in the St. Louis region working to reduce the impact and incidence of domestic and sexual violence. We do this through individual and group therapy, crisis care anchored by our 24-Hour Crisis Helpline and Textline, and prevention education programming for youth. Safe Connections serves nearly 20,000 individuals each year, inclusive of all genders, gender identities and sexual orientations.
Safe Connections seeks and celebrates diversity in its staff community and provides a dynamic team environment. A trauma-informed culture with a high value on self-care, mentoring and professional development is an organizational hallmark. We are an equal-opportunity employer. Employment decisions are made based on merit and organizational needs, not on race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, political affiliation or any other factor protected by law.
Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) in relevant area of study. Must have a minimum of five years of experience in directing successful development and marketing programs with a measurable track record in building year-over-year revenues; consistently demonstrate ethical behavior; welcome collaborative decision making; be committed to Safe Connections’ mission, vision and values; be proficient in database administration, information management, and industry-standard computer software suites; demonstrate exceptional analytical skills; have a proven ability to lead; possess polished oral, written and interpersonal communication skills; demonstrate exceptional organizational skills; have the ability to manage multiple and concurrent projects; be passionate, high-energy and adaptable with a sense of humor.
The Director of Development and Marketing is a leadership position responsible for the design and implementation of a complete development and marketing program to successfully increase individual, corporate, foundation, government and community support and broaden awareness of Safe Connections. The Director of Development and Marketing is responsible for ensuring the growth of Safe Connections’ fundraising/campaign portfolio including individual and major gifts, special events, grants, government contracts, in-kind contributions and planned giving.
The Director of Development and Marketing leads the successful delivery of results for the Grants and Communications Manager, the Development and Marketing Manager and the Events Manager. The Director of Development and Marketing is a key staff facilitator to, and liaison with, the Development Committee of the Board of Directors.
The Director of Development and Marketing reports to the Chief Executive Officer and is a full-time, exempt position with a flexible schedule requiring evening and weekend hours.
- Plan and implement, in partnership with the Chief Executive Officer, annual and longer-term development and marketing plans detailing the goals, objectives, and action steps for individual, foundation, corporate, government, planned giving, special events and in-kind giving. Special emphasis is placed on strengthening individual/major gift donor identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Provide professional leadership to the Board of Directors, Development Committee and development/marketing staff to develop and implement strategies which assist in the acquisition of philanthropic resources for furthering the purposes of Safe Connections.
- Maintain accurate, complete and confidential donor and prospect records. Oversee maintenance of the organization’s database of resource-related individuals and institutions, updating and purging, as needed. Build upon current or likely giving patterns and constituencies to identify prospective donors.
- Plan and produce, in partnership with the Chief Executive Officer and the Board of Directors, special events which are designed to achieve income and community awareness objectives.
- Plan and execute, in partnership with the Chief Executive Officer and development and marketing department staff, a strategic and integrated marketing and communications plan to build brand positioning and familiarity. Plan elements include internal and external communications, spokesperson training, website content, electronic media, and print collateral.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of government regulations and trends in philanthropy. Be alert to new opportunities and potential resources. Maintain the highest level of ethical and professional standards in the management of philanthropic resources.
- Act as lead staff to the Development Committee of the Board of Directors; working in partnership to successfully meet the goals and objectives set forth in the development and marketing department’s annual plan. Collaborate with the Development Committee Chair, and Chief Executive Officer, on implementing the plan.
- Provide leadership, direction, and oversight to the Grants and Communications Manager, Events Manager, and the Development and Marketing Manager.
- Prepare monthly and yearly reports and analysis for the Chief Executive Officer, Development Committee and Board of Directors. Actively contribute to, and participate in, the development of Safe Connection’s annual budget.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
Supervises the Grants and Communications Manager, Events Manager, and the Development and Marketing Manager.
Accountable to the Chief Executive Officer for carrying out assigned responsibilities and following agency policies and procedures.
Excellent benefits to include Medical, Dental, Vision, Paid Time Off/Vacation/Holidays, Flexible and Hybrid Work Schedule
Submit cover letter, resume and contact information for at least three professional references to Robin Anderson, 2165 Hampton Ave., St. Louis, MO 63139 or Robin@safeconnections.org.