Missouri Workers Center
Purpose of Position: To build a movement of organized low-wage workers with the power to win better wages, working conditions, and racial and economic justice for all Missourians. This is a full-time position. No experience is required. Organizers will receive extensive training and support from veteran labor organizers with decades of combined experience, and join a supportive team with a culture of excellence.
Location: This position is in-person and can be based in the St. Louis or Kansas City area.
Primary Responsibilities, To identify, engage, and organize low-wage workers by:
- Building relationships with workers, transforming them into workplace and community activists.
- Identifying and developing worker-leaders.
- Creating workplace and city-wide, worker-driven organizing committees.
- Planning and preparing workers on collective action to win workplace and community improvements.
- Coordinating with workers to gather information that is useful in identifying opportunities for movement building and mobilization.
Education and Experience, No prior organizing experience is required, however, the following will be necessary:
- A commitment to building a multi-racial movement of workers.
- A willingness to conduct worksite and home visits.
- The ability to be on time and work long and irregular hours, including some nights, weekends, and occasional holidays according to campaign demands.
- A commitment to deep listening, to mastering organizing conversation skills, and to receiving and incorporating feedback from the organizing team.
- Being detail-oriented and able to carry out plans with direction from the lead or supervisor in a timely and effective manner.
- The ability to make and execute a weekly work plan.
- Strong communication, writing, and computer skills.
- Willingness to travel on occasion.
- Must have a valid U.S. driver’s license, auto insurance, and an automobile for business use.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
- Bilingual ability in any language is sought but not required. Spanish, Vietnamese, Arabic, French, or Bosnian speakers are especially encouraged to apply.
- Starting annual salary of $55,000.
- Employer-paid health insurance and life insurance.
- $300 monthly gas stipend.
- $75 monthly phone stipend.
To Apply: Please send résumé and cover letter to Apply@MoWorkers.org with “Worker Organizer Job Applicant from The Rome Group”, or a similar description indicated in the subject line.
About: The Missouri Workers Center is an organization of low-wage workers, Black, white and brown, urban and rural, dedicated to fighting racism and winning economic justice for all.