Saint Louis Science Center
The Major Gifts Officer is responsible for identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding donors who have the capacity to make major gifts, with an emphasis on donors with the capacity to make gifts of $10,000+ will build and manage an active national portfolio of 75-125 donors. This role will help maintain and build a strong base of individual donors to support existing organizational priorities and the ambitious growth of the Science Center’s fundraising. The Major Gifts Officer will provide key strategic and organizational leaders in their fundraising activity. This role will have the opportunity to entrepreneurially build the major gifts program from the ground. This role will report to the Chief Institutional Advancement Officer.
- Manages a national portfolio of 75 – 125 major prospects as necessary with an emphasis on building the lead gift pipeline.
- Serve as a secondary manager or partner for select institutional prospects or those managed by the President and CEO or the board.
- Engages in developing individualized strategies for each donor/prospect in portfolio to increase overall support.
- Personally identify, qualify, cultivate, brief, solicit, and steward prospects with the potential to make gifts of $10,000+
- Partners with the annual giving and membership teams to identify potential new prospects.
- Engage donors through substantive, face-to-face or virtual visits, traveling when needed to meet with donors.
- Leads and participates in proposal preparation and strategy development, and stewardship as required for donors in the portfolio.
- Maintains strong and relevant knowledge of the Saint Louis Science Center organizational activity, priorities, and programmatic updates.
- Helps to create and manage VIP events and unique programmatic experiences for top patrons.
- Works collaboratively with all members of the advancement team and other teams to advance the priorities of the organization.
- Records all prospect activity in the database, including visit reports, gift ratings, expected and submitted proposals, to appropriately track progress towards individual, team and department annual goals.
- Other major donor duties as assigned.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum 3-5 years of professional experience in a non-profit organization; demonstrated success in managing and forging relationships with prospective donors.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated success cultivating and securing five- and six-figure gifts.
- A penchant for customer service.
- Demonstrated significant growth in fundraising revenue in roles with progressive responsibility.
- A strong entrepreneurial spirit.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships.
- Ability to work both independently and serve as a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority.
- Expert knowledge in fundraising best practices.
- Familiarity and comfort with planned giving techniques for a holistic approach to achieving philanthropic goals.
Please click here to submit a cover letter, resume, and application.