Reporting to the President and CEO, this top development professional is responsible for all outcomes and activities associated with fundraising and donor relations with private donors, corporations, foundations, and government grants. This individual will collaborate with the President and CEO, the Board of Trustees, and key staff to establish BioSTL’s first formal development program (after years of informal success) to take the organization to the next level.
BioSTL builds a wholly inclusive, globally connected innovation economy for the St. Louis region. BioSTL, a privately-funded non-profit organization, initiated and operates a suite of nationally recognized programs to transform the St. Louis bioscience and innovation economy, build regional capacity, focus community resources, and nurture a collaborative environment that capitalizes on the unique convergence of St. Louis’ corporate, university, and entrepreneurial strengths in medical and plant bioscience.
To achieve St. Louis’ potential in the high-growth bioscience industry, BioSTL has organized business, university, and philanthropic leaders around a set of deliberate strategies in: startup creation and investment (BioGenerator), strategic business attraction (GlobalSTL), physical environment (BioGenerator Labs), entrepreneur support (BioSTL Fundamentals), diversity, inclusion, and equity (Inclusion Initiative and St. Louis Equity in Entrepreneurship Collective), regional talent and workforce (STEMSTL), and public policy (national Innovation Advocacy Council). Together, these initiatives have helped advance
St. Louis’ leadership in solving important world challenges in agriculture, medicine, healthcare, and other technology areas.
BioSTL believes its success is of vital importance to the future growth and prosperity of the St. Louis region and seeks committed individuals who share this vision, who desire to make a difference, and who want to be part of a transformative organization.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the overall success of the organization’s fund development efforts to meet or exceed the annual and long-term revenue goals.
- Create and implement annual and multi-year development plan and strategy; contribute to the development and management of the fundraising budget and annual fundraising goals.
- Responsible for development and management of major gifts donors, including identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of effective relationships with individuals, board members, corporate leaders, foundations, current and prospective donors. Through effective prospect portfolio management, qualifies and secures funding from donors capable of making significant gifts and assure donor retention and upgrade strategies are successfully executed.
- Manage a portfolio of 125 donors. Create and execute a “moves management” plan for each qualified donor in portfolio.
- Manage major gift activities of President & CEO, and Board.
- Manage and implement solicitation of regional and national corporate and foundation funders.
- Work with entire team, including program and communications staff, to create a compelling case statement that reflects BioSTL’s uniqueness and impact and to create proposals and execute solicitations.
- Assemble internal teams to pursue grant opportunities; manage timelines on grant applications; and manage compliance/reporting requirements for corporate, foundation, and government grants.
- Create and submit monthly reports to management that reflect caseload activity and performance.
- Potentially engage, manage, supervise, and support additional staff and/or contractors to support development and grant writing to ensure successful completion of the full development strategy.
- Oversee the implementation of special events.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and a 10+ year proven track record of securing $100,000+ gifts or equivalent experience.
- Successful experience managing a multi-dimensional fundraising department and major donor program.
- Demonstrated ability in high-level strategic planning and project management.
- Superior written and oral communications skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, high degree of emotional intelligence, and a demonstrated ability to build collaborative, effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
Please send a detailed letter of interest and resume to email@example.com with “Top Advancement Executive” in the subject line. Confidential inquiries can be submitted to the same email address.
For more information, visit www.biostl.org.