City Greens Market
Reports to: Board of Directors and Executive Director
Compensation: 30k+/year depending on experience
The Market Manager, as the key management leader of City Greens Market, is responsible for overseeing the daily operations of a small non-profit grocery store and supporting the organization’s mission to make healthy, local food available and affordable to our community.
- Manage a team of part-time employees and volunteers.
Follow the budget approved by the Board of Directors, including recordkeeping, accounts payable, and payroll.
- Oversee the organization’s social media presence, and weekly newsletter in an effort to grow market membership.
- Maintain strict confidence of all employee and member information.
Market Operations Responsibilities:
- Ensure that the market is a friendly, and welcoming environment for volunteers, employees, and members.
- Ensure that there is sufficient staff/volunteers to effectively operate market during operating hours (40 hours/week). Keep a posted schedule for employees and a separate schedule for volunteers. Track employee and volunteer hours.
- Recruit and train volunteers to assist with all tasks related to daily grocery store operation.
- Ensure the cleanliness and presentability of the market and food storage, in accordance with all health/building codes and best practices for a grocery business.
- Manage the maintenance of market facilities and equipment. Order store supplies as needed.
- Coordinate all ordering of food to keep the market adequately stocked, while adhering to the organization’s mission to prioritize local, natural, and generally healthy foods that are affordable. Ensure that the market offers products that appeal to our target population.
- Ensure that stock is properly rotated and expired products are given away, composted, or disposed of.
- Set product pricing in accordance with our mission while minimizing food waste/loss and maintain accurate product pricing in point-of-sale system.
- Maintain visible and accurate product signage for customers.
- Manage vendor invoices and ensure they are paid on time.
- Coordinate in-store promotions, food samples, and other activities to engage with customers.
- Keep up-to-date record of membership information; ensure that members are notified when their membership expires, and that staff/volunteers have access to accurate membership data at the point-of-sale.
- Maintain a culture of customer-centric service.
- Stay abreast of industry trends and best practices.
- Uphold all City Greens policies and procedures.
- Represent City Greens with professional appearance and demeanor.
- Work assigned and varying shifts as required.
- Perform other tasks and duties as requested by the Executive Director and Board of Directors.
Education and/or Experience:
- A high-school diploma or equivalent. BA or BS in management related field strongly desired, or equivalent in hands-on experience.
- Must have basic computer skills, using Word and Excel
- Ability to use the Internet for product research, proficient writing and typing skills, and the technical ability to learn and become an efficient user of our internal software’s used for daily operations.
- Knowledge of local, natural, and generally healthy foods.
- Background in retail grocery, farming, nutrition, or cooking preferred but not necessary.
- Must be able to start no later than June 15.
How to Apply
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than May 8th.