Innovative not-for-profit organization seeks visionary CHRO to further people and workforce strategy, to lead newly-formed talent acquisition team, and, to expand employee-valued and client-centric culture!
With faith-based roots dating back to 1893, Emmaus Homes (“Emmaus”) is exceptionally proud of its 125+ year commitment to serving adults with cognitive and developmental disabilities. Founded in a single vacant building in Marthasville, Missouri, Emmaus has since grown its faith-based operations to 85+ community home locations throughout the St. Charles, St. Louis, Warren, and Franklin County areas and now provides comprehensive residential, recreational, and, spiritual services for over 300 individuals. The Emmaus Team represents close to 700 devoted employees and remains as committed as ever to its original mission: providing the highest quality supportive care for adults with disabilities in a faith-based environment for generations to come. To learn more about our mission, core values, history, and recent transformation in key services, visit Emmaus at www.emmaushomes.org.
Our growth story continues! Now seeking a Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO), Emmaus desires a visionary leader with the ability to flex between a wide range of strategic duties and tactical responsibilities and who is equally devoted to the Emmaus Mission. The CHRO will serve as a key member of the Emmaus Executive Leadership Team and will be responsible for driving HR strategy, workforce planning, talent acquisition and talent management, along with critical culture initiatives, employee engagement strategies, and, all traditional HR leadership functions. The ideal candidate brings an expertise in leading talent acquisition efforts and will enjoy flexing in scope and function to build out best practices and to further strategic initiatives.
Reporting directly to our President & CEO, the Chief Human Resources Officer will:
- PROVIDE VISIONARY EXECUTIVE HR LEADERSHIP – Serve as key member of the Emmaus Executive Team. Partner closely with the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Foundation Executive Director, Chief Financial Officer (CFO), Chief Operating Officer (COO), and Chief Strategy Officer (CSO). Interface with the Board of Directors in matters related to Human Resources. Participate in the strategic planning process and provide the guidance necessary to assist the CEO and Board of Directors in setting vision, determining direction and implementing strategy. Ensure that talent remains a top organizational priority and foster a healthy sense of organizational-wide accountability.
- INSPIRE A HIGH-PERFORMING HR TEAM – Provide leadership for a team of ten (10) HR professionals; half of whom are newly-devoted to talent acquisition efforts. Develop, assess, and retain talented HR team members who are well leveraged to support Emmaus growth initiatives while serving as critical business partners for internal management and as accessible resources for all employees. Foster a culture that promotes teamwork and grassroots problem solving and prevention, innovation, and change implementation. Coach and enable staff to effectively and productively interact with other departments.
- ATTRACT, DEVELOP, & RETAIN TALENT – Qualified and engaged employees are the life-blood of the organization! All HR policies, programs, and practices must recognize the value of our employees as our most valued asset. This position will work closely with the Executive Team and managers to identify and implement best practices in the areas of recruitment, orientation, training and development, performance management, retention, and compensation and benefits. Particular emphasis will be focused on becoming an attractive employer for potential employees and increasing the capacity of existing employees through effective assessment, training and development.
- CREATE A CULTURE OF ACCOUNTABILITY, COMPLIANCE, & CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT –Promote a culture of accountability, compliance, and continuous improvement. Partner with managers and other level leaders to put focus on accountability while fostering a culture of continuous improvement. Provide internal communications and guidance necessary to ensure compliance with Emmaus policies as well as local, state, and federal regulations and accreditation organizations. Lead the development of policies and procedures to ensure compliance.
- PROMOTE EMMAUS CULTURE & DRIVE EMPLOYEE ENGAGEMENT – Partner with managers to ensure core values and cultural initiatives are tied to daily service and the greater mission at Emmaus. Foster employee recognition and reward efforts and drive related use of employee engagement software. Solicit employee feedback and utilize employee surveys to identify challenges related to job satisfaction and employee turnover. Develop proactive initiatives to engage employees and to build a positive Emmaus culture.
- OVERSEE PAYROLL, COMPENSATION & BENEFITS – Lead the Emmaus Benefits Committee in provider selection. Implement new benefit plans, communicate plan changes, and address employee questions and concerns. Ensure Emmaus maintains competitive offerings that balance with organizational goals. Evaluate new employee benefits and additional programs.
- CLIENT CARE & CUSTOMER SERVICE – Client care and customer service is the heart of Emmaus! The CHRO will believe in the organization’s mission and champion quality client service as a top HR and organization-wide priority. Respect for the clients, employees, Board Members, and, all organizational constituents is expected at all time. Professional and ethical behavior is also expected at all times.
- 10-15+ years of progressive HR leadership experience, including a demonstrated track record of leading people strategy, people development, and building accountability and culture.
- Prior experience serving as a member of a senior leadership team is highly desired. Familiarity in supporting a Board of Directors and/or personal board experience a plus.
- Strong knowledge of business operations and a solid financial acumen is required.
- Prior HR team supervisory experience is required. Prior experience and/or leadership in a high-volume talent acquisition environment strongly desired.
- Demonstrated experience and genuine enthusiasm for providing both strategic and transactional HR functions is also strongly desired.
- Prior experience within a faith-based organization and or familiarity with the developmentally disabled community is ideal, but not required.
- Familiarity with providing HR support and strategy for a multi-site organization is a must.
- 4-year degree in related field is required; SPHR certification or advanced degree is a plus.
- Strong working knowledge of HR-related laws and regulations (OSHA, FMLA, FLSA, ADA, etc.).
Other Skills and Abilities desired:
- A desire to embrace both strategy development AND an ability to lead the hands-on execution of policies, procedures and initiatives… we need a “leader” and a “doer.”
- A willingness to collaborate closely with organizational leadership, peers, and direct reports in order to arrive at the best possible decisions for the organization.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to interact and work well across all levels of the organization. Demonstrated facilitation and presentation skills are expected.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to keep information confidential, build rapport, and resolve conflict in a fair and consistent manner.
- Team player with the ability to adapt his or her approach across a diverse employee base.
- Proven ability to proactively identify, advocate for, and implement process improvements and HR policies.
- Strong technology skills, including direct experience with ATS and HRIS systems and a strong proficiency in most Microsoft Office applications.
- Solid work ethic and high ethical standards.
Ready to Apply?
If you are interested and qualified, take the next step and apply in confidence at www.csiapply.com. Simply select Emmaus – CHRO and upload your resume.
Should you experience any difficulties with the application system or wish to make a confidential inquiry or referral, please contact our search consulting firm, Collaborative Strategies, Inc., at firstname.lastname@example.org. All inquiries and resume submissions will be held strictly confidential. Please do not contact Emmaus directly.
Collaborative Strategies, Inc., a St. Louis based consulting firm with a boutique executive search practice, has been connecting executive talent to opportunity since 1994. We take pride in matching talented leaders with growing and innovative not-for-profit organizations such as Emmaus. For more information about CSI’s services, visit us online at www.getcollaborative.com.
Equal Opportunity Employer