PROMO and PROMO Fund seek a Development Director who will be responsible for designing, implementing, and executing short-term and annual development plans, including major gifts and individual giving, grant strategies, corporate and foundation relations, and stewardship of current and prospective donors.
The Development Director will work closely with the PROMO Executive Director and the Board Development Committee. This role, in partnership with the Executive Director, will ensure PROMO and PROMO Fund has the resources to accomplish important mission goals, recruiting and retaining staff, and keeping teams motivated and capable of exceeding expectations.
This role focuses on building support for LGBTQ equality and fairness through an intersectional lens, ensuring that PROMO and PROMO Fund have a rich base of financial support from the LGBTQ and ally community.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume VIA EMAIL ONLY to the attention of the Executive Director at apply@PROMOonline.org. Resumes will be evaluated on a rolling basis, but those received by October 30, will be given priority consideration. Interviews will begin immediately, and application will remain open and posted until the position is filled.
- Job Title: Development Director
- Job Term: Full-time, salaried
- Job Supervisor: Executive Director
- Job Location: Priority given for St. Louis region, but other locations in Missouri will be considered
- Travel: 10% – 30%, depending on season
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Development & Operations
- In partnership with the Executive Director, Finance, and Development Committees, set and meet monthly and annual fundraising goals to secure financial support from individuals, foundations, organizations, and corporate partners
- Major Gifts and Individual Giving Campaigns
- Develop and cultivate relationships with current and prospective donors
- Assist Executive Director with weekly call time
- Supervise maintenance of donor records through our donor database
- Collaborate with the team to execute our donor solicitations and end of year appeal
- Collaborate with Communications Manager on online and digital fundraising and solicitation
- Conduct research to current and prospective major donors
- Oversee PROMO’s Capitol Club, our organization’s largest individual donors
- Develop and cultivate relationships with current and prospective donors
- Foundation Grant Support
- Develop and Implement effective grant strategies within the Missouri and LGBTQ philanthropic communities
- Assist the Executive Director and Field Director with grant reporting
- Assist in the processing, depositing, and tracking of monies in and out of PROMO and PROMO Fund
Event Management and Support
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and Development Committee, develop plans for PROMO and PROMO Fund’s events, including but not limited to gala/large in-person events, house parties, trivia nights, awards banquets, and online fundraising events.
- Responsible for efficient and well-planned execution of PROMO fundraising and cultivations events.
Culture, Environment, Team Collaboration
- Facilitate a work environment that encourages knowledge of, and respect for, those of other cultures and backgrounds, including political perspectives.
- Respond to urgent or unexpected communications needs with speed, emotional maturity, and good judgment.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Commitment to equality for all LGBTQ persons, including both sexual orientation and gender identity
- A minimum of three years of direct fundraising experience
- Ability to educate and communicate with patience, even in unfamiliar and challenging environments, appreciating viewpoints other than your own
- Dedication to understanding and emphasizing intersectionality and racial justice
- Ability to develop and follow through on long-term, mutually agreed upon strategic plans with tangible, measurable results
- Ability to listen and receive constructive feedback
- Ability to maintain appropriate boundaries regarding the handling of confidential information and maintain standards of conduct
- Experience managing senior staff with call time
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends; availability to travel within the region and statewide. Must have access to reliable transportation
- Exceptional, persuasive communication skills, including writing and public speaking
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Knowledge of, and experience working with, various levels of local and state government; lobbying; or working with political campaigns
- Experience with budgets, fundraising, and events
- An understanding of the Missouri and national LGBTQ philanthropic community
- A minimum of five years of direct fundraising experience
- Experience working within the LGBTQ community or within LGBTQ advocacy; knowledge of how policy decisions affect the daily lives and decisions of LGBTQ Missourians
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS
In our current environment, staff is encouraged to work remotely or physically distanced in our St. Louis office for the foreseeable future as we navigate our state’s response to COVID-19. We will continually reassess as the environment changes, but our staff’s safety and health are of paramount concern.
When we are more able to open, the Development Director will work inside an office with a collaborative, open-space set-up, as well as outdoors on occasion. Statewide travel is occasional; national travel to conferences is expected, but less frequent.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job: continual walking, standing, climbing, stooping, bending, kneeling, reaching, lifting, cutting, and carrying. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Extended hours in front of a computer screen and mobile phone screen are typical. Longer hours are required during peak campaigns, events, or response periods.
PROMO is a casual dress, fun workplace. The PROMO St. Louis office environment is collaborative and flexible to accommodate a strenuous campaign-based schedule. The building and office are accessible, secure, pet-friendly, and smoke-free.
Full-time, salaried position, with some travel. Competitive benefits package available, including medical, dental, life, and cell phone stipend. Flextime, PTO, and comp time available. Employer contributes a matching 3 percent into a SIMPLE IRA for each employee.
The salary range for this position is $46,000 to $60,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience.
PROMO is made up of two entities, PROMO, a 501(c)(4) organization, and PROMO Fund, a 501(c)(3) organization. PROMO is Missouri’s statewide organization advocating for LGBTQ equality through legislative action, electoral politics, grassroots organizing, and community education. PROMO Fund promotes equality and protects the human and civil rights of LGBTQ people in Missouri.
PROMO is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex or gender, sexual or affectional orientation, marital or familial status, disability, age, gender identification, health-related condition, association, or legal source of income.
People of color, people with disabilities, and members of other minority or underserved communities are encouraged to apply.