Pulitzer Arts Foundation
Manager of Marketing and Communications
Reports to: Deputy Director, Public Engagement
Status: Full-time / Exempt
Supervises: Digital Media Coordinator, Marketing and Design Coordinator
To provide management of the Marketing and Communications department by assisting in the development of the overall vision, strategy, and goals for the department, and overseeing the marketing and communications activities for the organization, including creative marketing plans, social media, public relations, advertising, and digital strategies.
Position Responsibilities and Duties
Administration & Management
- Work with the Deputy Director, Public Engagement, to set and manage department goals, procedures, and budgets, as well as metrics and evaluation strategies.
- Manage staff and oversee processes and procedures for project implementation, creative support, and research on best practices.
- Mentor staff by assisting them in developing annual individual and professional development goals.
- Set timelines and assign responsibilities for marketing and communications initiatives, campaigns, and projects.
- Prepare and monitor annual budgets, and process and track project expenses.
- Establish and maintain relationships with vendors, collaborators, press contacts, and colleagues to expand the Pulitzer’s network and audience.
- Identify opportunities to broaden accessibility of communications and marketing projects, materials, and campaigns.
- Develop strategic plans, key messages, press materials, and communications documents in collaboration with colleagues and public relations consultants to generate media coverage and increase public awareness.
- Identify and cultivate relationships with local and regional media contacts.
- Distribute press materials and develop pitches to local and regional contacts.
- Plan and coordinate press visits, interviews, events, and media appearances.
- Serve as spokesperson and respond to inquiries from the media and general public.
- Monitor, collect, and archive press-related coverage of the Pulitzer’s activities.
- Assist in the development and implementation of crisis communication strategies.
Marketing and Brand Management
- Conceive and facilitate the development of brand and marketing strategies.
- Research and stay current on museum and cultural marketing trends and tools.
- Maintain quality and consistency in brand standards for all marketing materials.
- Analyze target audience markets for audience outreach and growth opportunities.
- Conceive, propose, and oversee the design, production, and placement of print and digital materials and advertisements.
- Oversee the use and management of MailChimp and Salesforce.
- Promote sales and monitor inventory of publications and merchandise.
- Create metrics for evaluating the effectiveness of marketing campaigns.
- Oversee the development of public signage for the museum and outdoor spaces.
- Maintain style and interpretation guides with colleagues, including guidelines for written communication, marketing texts, and other writing as needed.
- Write copy for biweekly newsletters and other marketing and institutional materials.
- Collaborate with colleagues on the production of museum learning and interpretation tools, including audio tours and education materials.
- Provide copy editing to colleagues as needed for public and internal documents.
- Conceive, propose, and facilitate the development of strategic and creative approaches for the effective use of social media and other digital platforms.
- Oversee the development and management of digital media plans.
- Oversee the management and content on the Pulitzer’s website.
- Analyze analytics and best practices to assess benchmarks and growth strategies.
- Coordinate photography and videography for project and exhibition documentation, public relations, digital platforms, and marketing materials.
Experience and Background Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, or Public Relations preferred or equivalent education and work experience
- Minimum of five years of experience in marketing or communications and managing staff
- Strong project management experience with focus on process, implementation, and meticulous attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communications skills.
- Experience with social media, customer database management, and budgeting
- Ability to write and adapt voice and tone for various audiences
- Strict adherence to professional ethics, including an evident practice of high-level confidentiality
About the Pulitzer Arts Foundation
The Pulitzer Arts Foundation is an art museum dedicated to fostering meaningful experiences with art and architecture. Since its founding in 2001, the museum has presented art from around the world in its celebrated building designed by Tadao Ando and located in the Grand Center Arts District in St. Louis, MO. Offering personal encounters with art, the Pulitzer brings art and people together to explore ideas and inspire new perspectives.
The Pulitzer Arts Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. We will extend equal opportunity to all qualified individuals without regard to age, citizenship status, color, disability, gender identity, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex/gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status protected by law. Our policy reflects and affirms the Pulitzer Arts Foundation’s commitment to the principles of fair employment and the elimination of all discriminatory practices.
The Pulitzer benefits package includes Medical, Dental and Life Insurance, Voluntary Life Insurance, Health Reimbursement Account, Flexible Spending Account, SIMPLE IRA and match, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability, Vacation, Paid Time Off, Volunteer Time Off, and various leave policies.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, the Pulitzer has implemented a Remote Work Policy. For work needing to be completed onsite, this position has a private office.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should apply at https://pulitzerarts.org/about/jobs/ .